New Zealand’s largest private sector union says workers should not have to bear the financial loss of Code 19 lockdown.
Some workers have claimed that their wages have been reduced despite the help of employers through government wage subsidies.
Employers can apply for government wage subsidies from today.
ETT organizer Yuvet Taylor said the union was also listening to members who were being asked to take time off to receive their full pay.
“It is unacceptable that, without any fault on their part, some workers are suffering financial losses from the lockdown.
“For someone on a low salary, not paying his full wage causes a financial crisis, because there is no money from week to week.
“Salary cuts mean not being able to pay the rent, keeping the lights on, and paying for the necessities for the children. Sometimes it just means getting a high-interest loan.”
Taylor said employers need to appreciate the work their staff is doing – many of whom, he says, will provide essential services as soon as the country is out of Alert Level 4.
He said employers should “do the right thing”.
“As soon as the warning level goes down, many other essential workers will be expected to return to work – from the cleaning workers who are expected to do a thorough cleaning of everything, so the rest of us in public places. Feel safe to go back.
“We must value the work of ensuring that they are paid 100%, not just during tape-off and on-alert level changes.”
The union said the situation was similar during the March 2020 lockdown and other high alert level periods.
No guarantee on full wages – Cleaner.
Dean Josephine Verdo is a cleaner at Auckland City Council and usually works about 55 hours a week.
Verdo was among the comrades sent home from work on Tuesday night as the country was preparing to go into lockdown.
He said he was told not to enter during Alert Level 4.
But Verido said he has no guarantee yet that he will receive his full salary in the meantime.
Verido, who is paid at the rate of a salary, said any reduction in income would be a major setback.
“Our employer paid only 80 per cent during the second lockdown last year because they were no longer eligible for the wage subsidy. But they paid out of pocket,” he said.
“They have now applied for a wage subsidy again, but we do not know what will happen now. At the same time, we still need to pay our bills no matter what, so this decision will affect our families.” Will. “
Another delegate and cleaner, who did not want to be named and works for a different contractor on the council, said workers were fully entitled to 100% of their wages.
“No one knew the lockdown was happening again, and we don’t know how long it will last. The lockdown doesn’t stop our rent or electricity money from going out.
“We have an agreement with our employer, they should keep it.”
Kleiner, who typically worked more than 60 hours a week, said she was forced to use the savings when she reduced her income during last year’s lockdown to 70 percent of her normal salary. Done.
She does not know how her salary will be affected this time around, but in her role as caretaker, she has already been denied a request from management to agree to use her annual leave during this lockdown. Ask colleagues to sign.
E tū has more than 50,000 members nationwide.