Automotive

A man has been jailed indefinitely to protect young girls from sexual abuse.

A man has been convicted of raping a young girl in Wellington High Court.

Monique Ford / equipment

A man has been convicted of raping a young girl in Wellington High Court.

A man who won the trust of a girl and her family and created opportunities for sexual abuse with her can be imprisoned forever if she is not treated.

“It can and does happen to people like you,” Justice Francis Cook, QC, told the 49-year-old in Wellington High Court on Wednesday.

The man, whose name is Daboo, was sentenced to security custody, a free sentence in which people cannot be released unless they prove they are not an undue threat.

He had earlier pleaded guilty to five counts of sexual assault against the same girl during a two-year period beginning in 2018.

Read more:
* The jailed sex offender was removed by her sisters as the sole administrator of her father’s property.
* The child sex offender was sentenced to 14 years in prison but escaped custody.
* Brendan Hansen, the kidnapper of ‘Brazen’, had earlier raped a child.

He befriended the girl’s parents, regularly visiting their manot house and giving her presents.

He encouraged her to take him on trips to other areas and bring him closer to his family.

He repeatedly raped her and touched her indecently, the girl’s mother once saw him rubbing under her feet and clothes.

He once raped her while she was in bed with the baby.

The girl’s mother confronted her when she told him what had happened.

The man said he did not want to go to jail, asked for help and offered money to avoid police interference.

The mother involved the police.

Justice Francis Cook, QC, told the man that if he wanted to solve his problems, he had to be honest with himself.

Justice Francis Cook, QC, told the man that if he wanted to solve his problems, he had to be honest with himself.

The Crown Prince sought precautionary detention because of the man’s history, which included allegations of child abuse in 2005, 2006 and 2007.

He served his most recent prison sentence without parole, refusing to be offered treatment in prison or on release.

Crown Prosecutor Joshua Harvey said the court heard from various reports that the man had no sympathy, no insight and had repeatedly refused treatment.

“It’s a matter where actions speak louder than words.”

Harvey said a limited sentence would not be enough to solve these problems.

Defense attorney Fergus Studdman said the man appeared to have academic problems and was unable to provide answers to his questions.

Steadman said he was deeply ashamed of his crimes and wanted to solve his problems.

The judge said two doctors found the man at greater risk of defending himself in the same way, while the man showed no real remorse.

“You don’t appreciate the extent of your loss.”

The judge said that although the seven-year period was insulting without notice, it was “extremely disturbing” that the man again resorted to such manipulation in defense.

“It simply came to our notice then.

The judge asked the man to be honest with himself about his problems and seek treatment.

“You don’t want to spend the rest of your life in prison.”

The man faces up to five years in prison before being considered for parole.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *