Automotive

Covid 19: Capacity level 2 makes life difficult for hospitality places under level 2.

Eugene Whirlly, owner of Wellington Bar JJ Murphy & Co., pictured before the lockdown, says Level 2 will be a challenge.

Kate Green / Things.

Eugene Whirlley, owner of Wellington Bar JJ Murphy & Co., pictured before the lockdown, says Level 2 will be a challenge.

Bar and restaurant owners say Level 2 will be unprofitable for adults and magic for younger ones.

From Wednesday, out of Auckland hospitality. Go to Strictly Coveted 19 Alert Level 2. Which allows only half the number of guardians compared to last year’s Level 2.

There can be more than 50 patrons inside the premises and a maximum of 100 outside, at least one meter apart. Last year’s Level 2 rules allowed 100 guardians to enter.

While smaller venues are re-working on seating plans to comply with distance rules, some larger venues say it is unable to open doors.

Read more:
* Cove 19: Major changes have been made to reduce the risk of Auckland’s future lockdown.
* Helping locals during a lockdown is a tasty suggestion.
* Cove 19: Anwar Kargil City Council calculates the cost of the last lockdown.

Hospitality New Zealand chief executive Julie White says strict rules can be the ultimate straw.

Supplied.

Hospitality New Zealand chief executive Julie White says strict rules can be the ultimate straw.

Julie White, chief executive of Industry Body Hospitality New Zealand, said the 50 patrons limit was “a kick in the ass” for a struggling sector.

“Operators are in dire straits financially, and this could be the ultimate straw for many,” White said.

Eugene Wehrley, manager of JJ Murphy’s Bar at the Cuban Senate in Wellington, said the 50-person limit would be a challenge.

“It’s going to be different, people will look out the window and see once it looks empty and they are not allowed inside,” he said.

Last year’s level 2 limit of 100 people meant that the bar was constantly at capacity.

“We’ll open the main bar tomorrow morning (Wednesday) and see how we go, but I’m not expecting a morning queue,” Wehrley said.

John Bassett / Staff

Temaro Restaurant and Bar Cove 19 are preparing to open in Alert Level 2 on Wednesday.

Matt McLaughlin, a longtime Wellington hospitality owner and operator, believes many businesses will struggle to break even with a 50-person limit.

“It’s a vicious circle. At level 2, we have to come back and pay our bills with more or less income. Having a maximum of 50 people will make life difficult.

McLaughlin said he hopes to see some government support for the hospitality industry.

“It looks like we’re in a long land. I know the government doesn’t have an endless supply of money, and we want to be part of a good health response, but if we keep moving forward, a lot of business will fall apart. will go.

Government wage subsidies will still be available under Level 2, while parts of New Zealand are subject to Level 4 or 3 restrictions.

At Littleton’s Showroom Room Cafe, manager O’Reilly Borsier said the number of patrons would hardly change, but they had to make sure they met all of Kwid’s needs.

“There are a lot of rules, they are very difficult to follow.”

Showroom manager O'Reilly Borsier prepared the cafe for Alert Level Two.

Alden Williams / Things.

Showroom manager O’Reilly Borsier prepared the cafe for Alert Level Two.

Borsier said he would probably fit 40 patrons inside the cafe, and there’s plenty of space in the outdoor courtyard.

“It will be fine. We will have to mark the floor to control where people can go.

Colin Cloudsley, owner and chef of Piccolo Restaurant Italian, has about four staff members and a handful of tables at his restaurant in Christchurch, on the outskirts of Sommerfield.

He expects to fit about 16 diners below level 2, and also use the outdoor area until the wind blows. Normally they could sit in about 34 34.

“We have some reservations. Some large groups have been canceled.

Music Avenue Mayo, pictured in 2018, is expected to remain closed under this year's Level 2 Rules.

Cameron Burnell / Dominion Post.

Music Avenue Mayo, pictured in 2018, is expected to remain closed under this year’s Level 2 Rules.

Rhein O’Reilly, co-owner of Wellington Music Van Mayo, said 90 percent of the venue’s upcoming shows have been canceled.

“At this point we’re going to open a couple of gigs for artists who want to, but otherwise we’re probably going to be closed,” he said.

There is business frustration but it is short-term frustration. I think we are doing the right thing.

The Wellington Live Music Venue in San Francis has a capacity of 500 people for shows. Co-owner Zigi Zia said they would not open under the 50-person limit.

“We’ve had a lot of shows that have sold over 100 tickets. It’s very difficult at 50 [people] To work with the place we are in, “Zia said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *