The repair of the rail bridge over the Orari River in June 2021, as part of the Kiwi Rail work, is closed due to flood damage as part of the reopening of the line between Temaro and Ashburton.
Parts of South Canterbury’s rail link to Christchurch have to go through a major raft as part of improvements to the 1. 1.3 billion nationwide network.
Waka Kotahi New Zealand Transport Agency’s National Land Transport Program announced reforms will include replacing six bridges and improving “flexibility” on Rolston, near Christchurch, 200 km north of the Vitaki River on the south bank of South Canterbury. up to.
Two of the bridges to be replaced are in the Weymouth District, one between St. Andrews and Ottawa, and the other on Woodmouth Creek south of Stadholm, while the Orari River Bridge, Flood damage in June., Will receive flexibility work with another near the hook, also near the vampire.
The rest of the affected bridges are in Mid-Canterbury, with more flexibility required on seven bridges in the Salon / Dunsandal area.
* The dangerous part of SH1 south of Temaro has been tagged for a 30 million security upgrade.
* Councils have signed funding for a major Christchurch bus project – now it’s the government’s turn.
* The floods destroyed the southern island as transport links were cut off.
Kiwi Rail said a sea wall between Redroth and Scarborough south of Temaro would also be rebuilt, with the Hatton St. Level Crossing in Temaro being upgraded as a link to the city’s rail link to the port. ۔
There are also plans to re-slip the 13km track, re-rail the 3km track and replace 20 turnouts and civil works, and improve drainage and strengthen the slope.
Todd Moyle, Chief Operating Officer of Curel, said the investment was made to improve the overall condition of New Zealand’s existing rail network.
“Ensuring that our national network is flexible and standard for weather events means that Kiwi Rail can better ensure the reliability of our freight services and meet New Zealand’s freight tasks,” Moyle said. Can take over most of our roads and railways. “
Kiwi Rail has an ongoing asset management program, which has identified priority locations in Canterbury and across the country. The 1. 1.3 billion project will be rolled out nationally over the next three years, and we are currently planning and programming individual work packages through our regional teams.
Other Canterbury works are indicated:
- Prevention of erosion (preventing rapid flow of water from removing material around bridge piers and abutments) and strengthening Bridge 120 (just south of Clearance) and Bridge 72 (south of Mina).
- Coastal protection work at several locations between Cloverley and Oro, where the rail corridor is close to the coast.
- Sleeping more than 12km track, rerailing more than 4km track and 1 turnout replacement + civil works to improve configuration and drainage, and slope treatment / stabilization
- Complete replacement of Bridge 43
- The track is being renovated in the 8.5 km long Otera Tunnel.
- 6 km to re-sleep, 3 km to railings and 9 turnouts + to replace civil works and improve drainage
- Re-signaling work in Darfield, Jackson, Rotomano, Mawana and Kokeri.